Saturday, January 21, 2006

Funny French names

or Parents have pity on your children
or Kids I feel sorry for

Boys
Enguerrand
Hippolyte
Théophile (show me a Théophobe and I'll take this off the list)
Ulysse

Girls
Capucine
Enola (reminds me of Ebola virus)
Garance
Manon
Salomé (reminds me of salami)

These are kids I actually know, sometimes a few of them with the same name. Some of them (like Salomé and Capucine) are even the "trendy" names of the moment, comparable to the likes of Madison, McKenzie, Dakota, Montana, Pace, and other ridiculousness in the US. I feel really sorry for Hippolyte. Good thing he's not fat, otherwise we know what his nickname would be...

or the French version...

3 comments:

Kyriakos said...


Boys

Enguerrand
Hippolyte
Théophile (show me a Théophobe and I'll take this off the list)
Ulysse


Being a Greek living in Paris I like a lot the idea behind your blog. Just to mention though that 5 out of the 6 names above mentionned are Greek and particularly ancient Greek names soprobably that's why they sound so strange (even in modern Greece they sound the same): Hippolyte, Théophile, Théophobe, Ulysse (English version of the mythical Odisseas and btw the great novel of Joyce)

Anonymous said...

Lol, Hippolyte is the name of the leader of the Amazon Woman tribe in ancient greek times.

Piper said...

I knew a friend named hippolyte. We convinced him that in america his name really is Rhinodark. hehe