Friday, July 07, 2006

Allez Les Bleus!

So, I've caught World Cup fever like everyone else in France...it is AMAZING. I breathed a sigh of relief, along with the rest of France, when they made it past the first round by the skin of their teeth. I was nervous for the Spain match, and they blew me away. By the time Brazil came around, I would've been happy for them to have made it just that far...and yet once again they rocked. And then they beat Portugal's diving team masquerading as the soccer team! What a fabulous comeback story! Already by the quarter-finals I was too nervous to entirely concentrate on the game, so I don't know how I'm going to make it through Sunday. Let me share some of my highlights of it all so far.

De Villepin's take on the Portugal match: "C'est une équipe qui continue de nous faire rêver. Alors bien sûr on a tremblé, mais c'est une équipe qui a la grâce, c'est une équipe qui va aller jusqu'au bout parce qu'elle est soutenue par tout un peuple, par tout un pays, avec beaucoup d'émotion, beaucoup d'amour. Et finalement, au bout du chemin, c'est ce qui fait la différence. Je pense que ce soir on a eu un match particulièrement difficile. Ce qui veut dire que cette équipe est expérimentée, elle a utilisé toute sa sagesse, toute son expérience pour battre le Portugal..."
This dude could go on forever about anything. What a Chatty Cathy! My favorite is the part about how the team is supported by "all the people, the entire nation, with a lot of emotion, a lot of love"...do I hear violins?

The Zidane song that I can't get out of me head (warning: it is very catchy):

powered by ODEO

Cristiano Ronaldo's Oscar-winning performances:I'd never seen this joker play before; I always thought he was HOT in the photos, but after the England and France matches with Portugal I can't stand him. What a disgrace.

And of course, a shout out to my favorite #12, Thierry Henry:Gimme a Huuuug!

And more seriously, workin' it in the Brazil game:Dida's look here is priceless.

Fingers crossed til Sunday!

tags: , ,

No comments: