Sunday, November 13, 2005

Movie Roundup


Now that I have the lovely UGC illimité card, a quick summary of the movies I've seen so far in November:

The 40 year-old Virgin/40 ans, toujours puceau

I had just missed this in the US, so I was very excited when it finally got released here. It was hilarious. Also, at the cinema I went to I think the ticketboy had a little too much fun calling out the title of the film "40 ans toujours puceau" ::snicker snicker:: Yelling. Repeat many times. You get the idea.

A History of Violence

Not what I expected (I thought it was gonna be an American History X type thing), but I still really liked it. Although by the end I was a bit tired of the same types of repetitive scenes.

(Rencontres à) Elizabethtown

Yes, it was cheesy. Yes, the theater was filled with all girls, most under the age of 16. But I liked it, it was a great Saturday afternoon movie with a friend. Orlando Bloom cannot pull off an American accent (am I the only one who thinks this?), but he is awful cute.

Wallace & Gromit

A friend told me he loved it, but I was disappointed. I was a bit put off by the fact that the theater was filled with children. I should've known, since it is a kids movie and it was a Wednesday afternoon (here, kiddies don't go to school on Wednesdays), but since it was subtitled I didn't think there'd be that many kids. I guess most of them were bilingual or didn't understand crap but didn't care. I can definitely appreciate kids movies (I loved The Incredibles), but I thought this one was kinda boring.

Caché
I thought it was going to be a thriller (see poster), but it wasn't frightening. Maybe a bit suspenseful, at most. I thought I didn't understand the ending cuz I missed something in French, but I felt much better when I found out that there really isn't an ending. If that makes sense. If you've seen it (I think it will come out in the US soon, as Hidden), you know what I mean.

Caché

Now I have to decide what to see this week. I feel like I should go to see L'enfant and Joyeux Noël, just because. They're supposedly good films, have won awards, nominated for oscars, all that jazz. But L'enfant looks very depressing, and I'm not in the mood for a war movie. Choices, choices...

No comments: